Sunday, January 16, 2011

NYX Single Eyeshadows: Neutrals



I've finally made a start on my plan to reswatch all of my NYX stuff, beginning with the single eyeshadows. There are too many to fit all in one post, so I'm breaking them up - I'll probably do three posts of these over the next couple of days.


I've read quite a few blog posts lately about how to take proper photos - it seems to be a bit of a theme at the moment - and frankly, although the information is certainly helpful and it's nice of people to share their knowledge, it's made me feel a bit blah because I can't take photos to save myself. I think photography is an art - if it wasn't, any Joe Blow could grab a camera and make a living out of it. There are certain technical things one can learn, but when it comes down to it, you can be a great photographer, a good photographer, or a crap photographer. I'm firmly in the Crap Camp, and I can live with it, because outside of this blog I have little interest in taking pictures of things. I've done the best I can to get the true colour of the swatches, and most of them are fairly true to life, but they're not perfect. Hopefully, some of you will find them helpful.

Gold Eyeshadows
L-R: Sparkle Cedar (Metallic/Shimmer), Antique Gold (Metallic), Golden (Metallic)

Indoors in natural light.

Indoors with flash.

These aren't all strictly "gold" eyeshadows, but they didn't really fit in with any other group, so I chucked them in together. I'm not overly keen on Antique Gold and Golden, they don't really suit me. I use Sparkle Cedar a lot - it's lovely on the lid with a reddish purple like Red Bean Pie or Beauty Queen in the crease. It's one of the poorer formulated ones though, kind of hard and crumbly and you get a lot of fallout. NYX has a few of those, though thankfully not too many in my experience.

The top row is swatched on bare skin, the bottom row over NYX White Eye Base.

Outdoors in natural light. 

Indoors in natural light.

Indoors with flash.

Brown Eyeshadows
L-R: Iced Mocha (Metallic), Gypsy (Shimmer), Root Beer (Shimmer)

I could have sworn I had more of these!

 Indoors in natural light. 

Indoors with flash.

Unfortunately, these kept coming out kind of muddy - they're nicer in real life. Iced Mocha is a lovely taupe - I've been using it quite a bit lately.

Outdoors in natural light. 

Indoors in natural light. 

Indoors with flash.

More swatches to come!

15 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, gorgeous colour - pain in the butt formula, but worth it for me. It's probably my most worn of all my NYX eyeshadows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see your swatches, all of the NYX eyeshadow swatches I've seen in the past have been utter pants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could open a shop with your collection of NYX, I love it! Iced mocha seems like a pretty good dupe for Satin Taupe.

    Keep the swatches coming, and your swatches aren't crap.

    Lilit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacey, thank you. <3 It's not helped by living in a terrace house that has barely any natural light even in the middle of the day!

    Jessica, I've had trouble finding good swatches too - that's one of the main reasons I make such an effort to get mine as "right" as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lilit, I've heard a few times that Iced Mocha is meant to be a Satin Taupe dupe, but I don't have ST to compare.

    I'm exaggerating a bit when I say I'm in Camp Crap. I can take an okay photo, I know. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great swatches, I love NYX shadows!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! I'm surprised they are so pigmented- I don't have any NYX shadows but will def have to check it out.

    Thanks for swatching for us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for those swatches, very useful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for the swatches, they're really helpful! :) Keep them coming ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bought sparkle cedar after seeing these pics :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, bless - hope you like it. It's one of my favourites. <3

      Delete