Friday, January 7, 2011

NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream


I did a quick swatch post of my new NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams a couple of weeks ago, but I've since acquired two more and the services of Noodle Arms' lips, so I have a million and one more pictures. So many, in fact, that I'm going to have to break the posts up in to individual colours over the next few days (I still don't have a new computer cord, so I'm only able to use the computer here and there as well - annoying!).

The colours I have are Tokyo, Antwerp, Stockholm and Addis Ababa, and while the swatches on the NYX and Cherry Culture sites are not fantastic, I have to take back my sneering derision of them in the last post; they're not actually as ridiculously far off the true colour as NYX swatches usually are (with the exception of Tokyo), as you can see here:

L-R: Tokyo, Antwerp, Stockholm, Addis Ababa

Taken outdoors in natural light

Taken indoors with flash

As I mentioned in the original post, this product is pretty much a dupe of the Bourjois So Delicate Lip Creams. You apply them with a sponge applicator like a gloss, and then they dry on your lips in a few minutes. The scent is slightly vanilla-ish, and doesn't last once applied to the lips. There's not really any taste that I could detect.

Pros
  • the colours are opaque 
  • they last really well once they dry, and fade down to a nice stain that stays on the lips for ages
  • they're pretty cheap - only $6US each 
Cons
  • you need a lip liner to apply them properly - they're not like lip glosses where you can just do a quck swipe; they require precision or they look weird (you'll see what I mean when I post the swatches of Noodles' lips)
  • they are a little bit drying, and you really need to have applied a lip balm sometime before using them
  • I get the feeling they will dry up quite quickly in the containers - the texture of the two I bought a few weeks ago is already slightly thicker and clumpier

My overall thought is that these are kind of a fun gimmick and not much else. I can't see too many people falling madly in love with them. However, they're cheap enough to get one to play with and see what you think of them. 

I'll post the proper lip swatches over the next couple of days, but in the mean time if you have any questions about them, feel free to ask!

8 comments:

  1. Loving Antwerp. It would be a shame if they do end up drying quickly- let us know how it goes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the swatch. The colors seem lovely. I notice even on nyx website, swatches are not so nice. I have not used it yet but I have ordered Istanbul color for my friend. Hope it is beautiful as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the swatches! I was searching for more info on these lip creams and your blog came up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. See now thats the kinda packaging that would win me over straight away. It's so simple and the colours all look awesome next to each other. I'd probably end up buying all 4 if I was shopping... I'm an advertisers dream :)

    Nice swatches! Looking forward to seeing the pics ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen, I shall certainly report back if anything like that happens.

    Flora, the NYX swatches are never much good to judge true colours. I've bought a lot of NYX lipsticks in the past that turned out to be completely unsuitable for me because I had to guess the colours! Thankfully these days there are tons of people out there swatching products. :-)

    Louzee, I'm glad you found this post useful. I couldn't find a single swatch when I was first wanting to buy these, so I had to take a gamble. I made sure to get swatches up as soon as I could so others would have something to go by. My little public service of the day. :-)

    Joy, I can relate. I can never have just one of anything - I always need to get more than one colour, probably because I'm so indecisive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Addis Ababa looks like a nice bright pink :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Antwerp, Stockholm look amazing! How strange that in one pic they look so matte and with flash they are so glittery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're not glittery in the flash photo, they're just wet, so are reflecting back :)

      Delete