Monday, December 21, 2009

My 5 favourite skincare products in 2009.

I started to make a list of my five favourite products, but I couldn't narrow it down (I have shopped a lot this year!), so I've decided to break it up into categories: skincare, makeup, perfume and bath and body. I'm only including products I actually discovered this year, not those I love and buy over and over. I've also tried to include only one product from each brand (with limited success).

So, starting with skincare, here are my five favourites for the year:

5. Skin Beauty Repair Concentrate.I have tried a lot of Clarins products over the last few years, and I'm generally a fan. Earlier in the year I was at the Clarins counter stocking up on cleanser when I got into a discussion with the sales assistant about how my skin had been playing up (I had been trying out lots of different samples, and basically just slapping too many different things on my face). She recommended this serum, and though I nearly keeled over at paying so much for something I'd never even heard of, I am a sales assistant's dream when it comes to falling for the spiel, so I shelled out for it, thinking that she really did know a sucker when she saw one.

The premise of this product is that you use it for a week or two when your skin is unbalanced, sensitive or problematic, and then put it away until you need it again. I did just that, and damned if it didn't work! It settled my skin down considerably, and the redness and breakouts disappeared. And even though it's a teeny bottle, it seems to go a long way - I'm still on the same bottle I originally bought, and I've used it nightly for a week or two at least three or four times. When I run out, I will definitely buy more (though probably on Strawberrynet, where it's way cheaper) just to have on hand for when I need it.

4. Joey New York Correct-A-Line. It's just my luck that I should discover this the same year the company closed down. However, I do have two unopened jars and one that is still almost full, so I doubt I'll be running out any time soon. This is a primer that does an amazing job of blurring and smoothing out fine lines, forehead wrinkles, and crow's feet. Not much more to say about it, really. It does exactly what it claims to do.

3. Chanel Precision Huile Confort Silky Cleansing Oil. A few months ago I read a blog post about double cleansing - removing makeup with an oil-based cleanser first, and then using a cream-based cleanser to get rid of all the residue. I love the idea of being really clean, so I decided to try it. I searched around Strawberrynet looking at various cleansing oils, and eventually decided on this one, mostly because I've liked every other Chanel product I've tried. It's the type of oil that you apply to dry skin, and then add water, causing it to turn into a milky cleanser. It's great for getting all the last bits of makeup off, particularly eye makeup, and it makes my skin feel really soft and fresh. I've been using it for about two months and I still have about two-thirds of the bottle left, so it seems to last a long time as well. Definitely worth the money.

2. Skinn by Dimitri James Wrinkle Balm Replenishing Night Treatment. I've raved about this product before, so I won't go on about it too much. Suffice to say that this is the best moisturiser I've ever used. When I wake up, my skin is soft and smooth, and the wrinkles in my forehead have diminished considerably since I started using it. I have a few unopened moisturisers that I have made a resolution to use before I buy any more of this, but to be honest, I am beginning to panic a bit at the thought of being without it.

1. Estee Lauder Perfectionist CP+ Wrinkle Lifting Serum. Oh man. I think this might be my favourite skincare product of all time. Soooo expensive, but soooo worth it. If I were rich I would just bathe in this stuff every night. It smoothes out wrinkles, softens skin, and lasts for ages. Ridiculously expensive, which is why I don't currently have any (sad face), but I'm saving my gold coins until I have enough to buy a big bottle. Love, love, LOVE it.

No comments:

Post a Comment