Wednesday, December 30, 2009

My New Year's resolution that I will definitely, definitely keep. No, really.

I love making New Year's resolutions - I think it stems from my love of making lists (yes, I am one of those people). Every year I spend about three weeks refining my final list, and it's always a variation on the same few themes - lose weight and/or get more healthy, don't spend so much money, read more proper books instead of lazy trash, eat at the kitchen table instead of in front of the TV, and so on and so forth. Of course, making resolutions is easy. Keeping them is not, and I rarely (if ever) do.

This year I have only one resolution, which is this:

DO NOT BUY ONE SINGLE UNNECESSARY THING FOR THE FIRST THREE MONTHS OF 2010.

I have spent far too much money on girly frippery this year, not to mention impulse buys at the supermarket (I go for milk and come back with a $15 jar of organic mayonnaise and three blocks of Green & Black's), takeaways, giant cappuccinos, magazines, tons and tons of manga for Noodle Arms, and vitamins that I take for a week or two and then forget about.

I am the highly suggestible type, so in order to give myself a chance at succeeding, I have unsubbed from all of my cosmetic website email updates, and almost all of the beauty blogs I read (I kept about 10 of the ones I really like, such as The Lip Print, Lollipop26, and Dazzledust25. I also kept a handful of the youtube vloggers I find interesting.

My one exception is perfume, but my plan is to use one of my dust-collecting passbook savings accounts and put a certain amount in there straight from my pay each fortnight so I can have a guilt-free perfume splurge every so often. I'm hoping to actually do this for six months (or even the whole year!), but I'm starting with three months to be a bit more realistic.

So, to clarify what I mean by "unnecessary":

I have tons and tons of eyeshadows, lipsticks and palettes of both, and will not run out within my lifetime, let alone within three, six or twelve months. Therefore, any purchase of either of these products would be deemed unnecessary. However, I use a particular cleansing oil, so if I run out of that, a repurchase would be deemed necessary.

I've received a couple of packages this morning (haul pics when I can get The Photographer to do it for me), and I've got... three? four?... more to come, then I'm done for now. So I'll just spend my time using and reviewing what I already have. That should keep me busy for quite a while.

So, what's your resolution?

P.S. Noodle Arms is going to start getting pocket money so she can save up and buy her own manga. That's an expensive habit she can take control of herself!

No comments:

Post a Comment