Saturday, October 8, 2011

NYX Matte Lipstick: Angel and Perfect Red


No matter how much beauty crap I have, and no matter how much I swear that I am not going to buy anything no matter what for the next 25 years, I cannot resist a new NYX product. Actually, that's not entirely true - I have little interest in their face products (foundation, primer, concealer, etc). I cannot resist their coloured products - lips, eyes, cheeks. So even though I've been on my alleged No Buy for some time, when I was idly checking out Cherry Culture with no intention of buying anything (why do I do that?) and saw that NYX has new matte lipsticks, I had to try them.   

From left: Angel and Perfect Red

As usual, the swatches on the site are pants, so I Googled around and found one that looked like my kind of shade - Angel. Unfortunately, the swatches I looked at are either not true to life, or my computer screen has gone awry (more likely explanation), as it's not quite what I was expecting. The colour reminds me a lot of their Round Lipstick in the shade Fig, which I always wanted to love but could never quite make work on me.  
I deliberately chose a red shade for the second one, even though I don't wear red lipstick (my lips are too thin). That sounds ridonk, but I find that matte lipsticks are good for applying a 'stain' so I thought it might be a nice way to get away with a red shade on my angry little Nelly Olson mouth. 

These are modelled (as usual) by Noodle Arms - for reasons outlined above. 



Top - Angel, Bottom - Perfect Red

I wore Perfect Red around the house on the weekend to test out the feel of it and the staying power. Like all matte lipsticks, it is a little drying, though I didn't find it too bad - I've definitely had worse. It's got great staying power - it even lasted through brushing my teeth!
Aussies can buy these from the US via Cherry Culture or Nonpareil Boutique (and as always with those two stores, I recommend waiting for one of their many sales to get more bang for your buck and make up for the shipping a little - the next one will no doubt be Hallowe'en). Most of the range is also available at Crush Cosmetics, if you want to pay more but get them faster. 

3 comments:

  1. Havent actually tried these yet, which is nuts because I have about eleventy billion Round lipsticks.

    Also want some of the new slide on eye pencils! And I do want to try the foundations eventually...

    ReplyDelete
  2. tysm for this review.. I wanted to try these out but havenàt yet xxxx perfect red looks awesome.. and I usually hate reds haha xD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzanne, the slide on eye pencils will no doubt be in my next order when I crash and burn on my No Buy again. I'm not really into the foundations - that's one thing I think you get what you pay for, so I don't tend to like the 'drugstore' ones much (Revlon ColorStay excepted).

    Dyna, you're welcome - I hope you found it helpful. Perfect Red is a really nice, wearable red. :-)

    ReplyDelete