Saturday, September 11, 2010

Manners: where did they go, eh?

Although most of the people I come into contact with in the online beauty world are just lovely, it never fails to surprise me how rude and entitled some can be. I recently gave up visiting a forum that I had enjoyed for a couple of years, because I was fed up to the back teeth with one or two people who completely monopolised the place, and had a really passive aggressive attitude about it - for example, when members were sent a product to trial and posted excitedly about it, the response would be something like, "Congratulations, guess I miss out again." If it were once or twice I could ignore it, but over and over quickly became tiresome, and since the offenders had pretty much set themselves up as institutions and Grand Authorities on this forum, it was clear they weren't going to ever cool it, so that was it for me.

Yesterday I was watching one of Lisaz09's videos, where she just did a general vlog about what she planning for upcoming reviews and so on. She mentioned that she gets people sending her messages saying things like, "You have so much makeup, can you send me some?". I'm floored by that kind of rudeness. Who on earth would do that? The reason she mentioned this was because she was talking about doing some regular giveaways, and that she would only send to the US and Canada because of the cost of shipping. Now, I'm not in the US or Canada, but I think if that's what she wants to do, then fair enough. It's her stuff and her life, and she can do whatever she wants with it. But then I was reading some of the comments, and boy oh boy. I know that reading youtube comments is just like banging your head against a wall, so I walked right into it. People telling her it wasn't fair that she wouldn't ship internationally, and when she responded stating that the cost was too high (not that she should have to justify herself), people argued with her. As though they had some divine right to her freebies.

I don't know, maybe it's just the remnants of my bad mood over the last couple of weeks, but if I were in her position and had to deal with that kind of grasping, ill-mannered behaviour, I'd be giving these people a good old what for. Unbelievable.

5 comments:

  1. Oh finally ... I completely agree. Some people really need to pull their heads in on YT, blogs and forums in general.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the reason I rarely read forums any more. Newspaper ones are the absolute worst and I have a policy of not engaging. As the old saying goes, an idiot will bring you down to their level then beat you on experience. Plus i always feel like my IQ drops by about 50 points whenever i read what Herald Sun readers are saying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I avoid the comments sections of news sites like the plague. Complete ignorance of a topic has never stopped anyone from having a badly misspelled opinion there!

    I miss Melbourne quite a lot, but one thing I *don't* miss is the 50/50 column in the Herald Sun. Or for that matter, the Herald Sun...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The internet can be a very toxic place in some patches, I've left a few forums due to the cliquey behaviour of other members. Thankfully I have made some wonderful friends over the years of interacting online, that's what keeps me going :)

    ReplyDelete