Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Tag!

I have a bunch of reviews waiting to be done, but I'm super duper tired this week, so the most I can manage at the moment is this Tag I nicked from Jade.

How old were you when you started wearing makeup? 
About 13. I had an old beauty case full of cheap makeup from Coles and Kmart, and those teeny little Avon lipstick sample things - the white ones. I wonder where I got those from? Maybelline was the "it" brand for us young'uns at the time. I looked like this.




How did you get into makeup?
Do you know, I have no idea. I didn't get it from my mother. She had the same bottle of pinkish Starlet foundation through my whole childhood, and she only ever wore it when she had to go to a wedding or a funeral, along with a coral lipstick. I think maybe because it was the 80s and everyone was going crazy with colour.

What are some of your favourite brands?
I love Chanel, but it's mostly out of my price range. I have a few items, though, and I worship them. I'm a fan of NYX, especially for eyeshadows, Milani for blushes, L'Oreal for mascaras.

What does makeup mean to you?
It's just a fun, harmless interest. I don't take it seriously.

If you could only wear 4 products on your face, what would they be? 
1. Tinted moisturiser
2. Mascara
3. Eyebrow pencil
4. Sheer lipstick

What is your favourite thing about makeup?
That there is an entire internet community devoted to it, and we can all bond over our shared love.

What do you think about drugstore makeup vs high end makeup?
I think drugstore makeup has really picked up its game in the last few years - you can buy eyeshadows, lipsticks, mascaras, etc of fantastic quality. I think high end brands still have the edge when it comes to foundation, though.

What is one tip or advice you can give to a beginner?
Google around and investigate before shopping online. The "MAC 88 Palette" doesn't exist, and a set of brushes for $10 are not going to be genuine Lancome. You can get a lot of things way cheaper from overseas if you're willing to wait for it to be delivered.

What is one makeup trend you never understood?
Bronzer. I honestly don't see the point.

What do you think about the beauty community on youtube?
To be honest, I don't have a lot of time for most of the "gurus" - I find a lot of them to have little warmth, be unengaging, and little more than corporate shills. Of course, there are a few of the bigger names I really like - the gorgeous Pixiwoo sisters (come on, who doesn't like Pixiwoo?), and the charming Marlena from MakeupGeek for example, but mostly I like the more low key Aussie and UK beauty vloggers.

And just because I never have any opportunity to use the many macros and gifs I collect in my internet wanderings, I'm throwing this out there, with a conversation from a while back, when Noodle Arms and I were on our way to see Alice In Wonderland.

Me: You know what's the only thing better than going to see Alice In Wonderland?
Noodles: Paul Rudd dancing!

We're so in sync. And it's true.

5 comments:

  1. Hehehe that gif is soo funnny/cute XD

    As for youtube I don't watch much these days just my Aussie girls and fave Poms :D I can't stand the ones that bang on constantly about shit they're trying to flog off, it just makes me disrespect the brand that they're advertising.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG that Paul Rudd gif is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I can watch that gif for hours.:-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Role Models is possibly my all time favourite movie. So so soooooo underrated. My brother and I send each other lines from it all the time and Paul Rudd is magnificent in it.

    "Oh so you want me to move?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I don't want to get too graphic but I sucked his dick for drugs."

    Role Models is definitely up there in my favourites list. Although I can watch Paul Rudd in anything. I think he might be my favourite actor.

    As an aside, I love that you and your brother swap movie lines. My brother and I do that too, though it's mostly from 80s/90s movies since that's our vintage. We shared a house together when we were young and watched a LOT of movies. Every now and then I'll get a random movie line texted to me, or I'll send one to him if it pops into my head. Awesome. :-)

    ReplyDelete